Applicability of Cost Audit to Telecommunication Industry
- Cost Audit is applicable to:
- Companies engaged in manufacturing, production or processing of goods or services.
- Both Private Limited & Public Limited Companies are covered.
- These Companies are covered under Cost Audit if any of the following criteria is fulfilled:
- Company Listed on Stock Exchange, or
- Net worth exceeds Rs. 5 crores, or
- Turnover of the company exceeds Rs. 20 crores
- Cost Audit is mandatory for the financial year 2011-12 and onwards.
(If a company is covered once on the basis of above criteria, the Cost Audit will remain mandatory even if turnover of the company is reduced in the subsequent years)
- Companies whose Cost Audit Orders were issued on case to case basis as per earlier Rules, shall continue to be covered under Cost Audit whether they fulfill the above criteria or not.
- Activities covered under Telecommunication Industry
Act, process, procedure, function, operation, technique, treatment or method employed in relation to telecasting, broadcasting, telecommunicating voice, text, picture, information, data or knowledge through any mode or medium.
Cost Accounting Records:
- Cost Accounting Records are to be maintained as per Cost Accounting Records (Telecommunication Industry) Rules, 2011, and
- Cost Accounting Standards issued by the Institute of Cost Accountants of India.
(Presently CAS 1-18 have been issued)
- Cost Accounting Records are required to be maintained for atleast 8 financial years.
Cost Audit Report:
- It is to be prepared on the basis of Cost Audit Report Rules, 2011
Submission of Cost Audit Report:
- It is to be submitted online to Ministry of Corporate Affairs.
- If Company is following April to March financial year, then the Cost Audit Report for the Financial year 2013-14 is required to be submitted by 27th September, 2014 (i.e., 180 days from the close of financial year)