Applicability of Cost Audit – Motor Vehicles (including Automotive Components) Industry
- Cost Audit is applicable to:
- Companies engaged in manufacturing, production or processing of goods or services.
- Both Private Limited & Public Limited Companies are covered.
- These Companies are covered under Cost Audit if any of the following criteria is fulfilled:
- Company Listed on Stock Exchange, or
- Turnover of the company exceeds Rs. 100 crores
- Cost Audit is mandatory for the financial year 2012-13 and onwards.
(If a company is covered once on the basis of above criteria, the Cost Audit will remain mandatory even if turnover of the company is reduced in the subsequent years)
- Companies whose Cost Audit Orders were issued on case to case basis as per earlier Rules, shall continue to be covered under Cost Audit whether they fulfill the above criteria or not.
- Relevant Chapter Heading of the Central Excise Tariff Act, 1985 in respect of Motor Vehicles (including Automotive Components Industry
Chapter 84, 85 & 87
Cost Accounting Records:
- Cost Accounting Records are to be maintained as per The Companies (Cost Accounting Records) Rules, 2011, and
- Cost Accounting Standards issued by the Institute of Cost Accountants of India.
(Presently CAS 1-18 have been issued)
- Cost Accounting Records are required to be maintained for atleast 8 financial years.
Cost Audit Report:
- It is to be prepared on the basis of Cost Audit Report Rules, 2011
Submission of Cost Audit Report:
- It is to be submitted online to Ministry of Corporate Affairs.
- If Company is following April to March financial year, then the Cost Audit Report for the Financial year 2013-14 is required to be submitted by 27th September, 2014 (i.e., 180 days from the close of financial year)